Thanks for the replies,

I did a lot of information retrieving, and my actual faorites are:

Brother HL-4200CN (has only 64 MB RAM and I would have to buy some extra RAM for quality PS output)
Epson C4100 PS or C4000 PS. 4100 is faster, that's about it, I think.

Both support USB2 and PS, the Epson has also a lot of other emulations including PCL (Brother only GDI). It is quite impossible to get print samples, so this makes my decision somewhat difficult.

A pity the HP color laserjets have only 600 dpi. On the other side, the dpi information is not always clear and sometimes even different values are mentioned. As I have a 1200 dpi b&w laser now, and there is an improvement over 600 dpi, I don't want to go lower. I wonder how the output of a HP 3700dn might be.

1200 dpi are not always 1200 dpi, it seems. So I prefer the models with 1200 optical (real) dpi.

There are OKI printers that seem to be very good, but they are too expensive.

I also found models by Ricoh, Minolta, Lexmark, Panasonic, Xerox, Seiko and others, sometimes looking more than a bit similar, so I think they differ only in their electronics, but this may nonetheless make a big difference.

I might even consider a B&W laser printer, but I want duplex printing on board, an so maybe the price difference may not be so high?

If more people out there have experienses with such printers, I appreciate if they could share them...

Thanks and cheers

Kurt