On 25 Aug 2004 at 1:18, Darcy James Argue wrote:

> But Sibelius has gotten dramatically better with the last two major
> upgrades.  They have closed the gap in many areas, and frankly, have
> pulled drmatically ahead in areas where they used to lag, especially
> when it comes to performance.

In our last discussion of Finale vs. Sibelius I downloaded the
Sibelius demo and tried it out. I wasn't really able to decide
whether I could use Sibelius or not because:

1. I couldn't save a file, so I really couldn't get to the point of
doing anything at any particular level of complexity.

2. I didn't have enough documentation to figure out how to do some
things that are surely very basic (such as changing the system size
after the music is input, and also how to input articulations and the
like without being tied to the tiny little tool pallette with way too
few selections on it at one time, which required tons of pallette
switching).

I can't imagine that things are not easier than what I was able to
figure out, but it was pretty darned slow to get things done (far
slower than Finale). I'm only assuming that this was because the demo
didn't give me the chance to figure it out.

I certainly wouldn't spend money on Sibelius based on the demo.

But it did show me that I would probably be satisfied with the output
of Sibelius for my own work, if I were able to get the data in
quickly.