On 25 Aug 2004 at 14:51, Mark D Lew wrote:

> On Aug 25, 2004, at 12:06 PM, Brad Beyenhof wrote:
>
> > I actually first started seeing the need for tabs with regard to
> > Google searches. With tabs, you can open an interesting link from
> > the results page in a new tab, then surf around the site for a while
> > if you want, and just close the tab when you're done to get back to
> > the search results. You don't have to hit "back" a bunch of times,
> > or search Google again.
>
> This actually sounds mildly useful.  It's the first thing anyone here
> has described that sounds like something I might do. . . .

I described exactly this scenario more than once. Since you refuse to
actually try it, you probably aren't understanding what people are
describing, which really emphasizes the point several of us have
made: try it yourself -- you may discover you like it more than you
can imagine in the abstract.

> . . . Except that I
> don't hit "back" a bunch of times.  When I'm done chasing down one
> Google lead, I go to the "History" menu and go to the last Google
> entry and it puts me back at my original search.

But then it has to re-render the page. It may even retrieve it again
from Google. If you have the page still open, waiting for you in the
original tab, you don't have to do that.

Secondly, using the history for returning to a Google search is only
really useful if you're returning only to the first page of the
search. The history entries are not all that clearly labelled for
further pages of the search.

> I used to do that sort of thing with "mark page for snapback", but I'd
> sometimes get confused trying to remember what I'd marked, and end up
> going back to the wrong place.  The History menu was easier.

This is the way I do Google searching in Mozilla:

1. Ctrl-N to open new window.

2. in the location, type what I want to search Google for, hit the up
arrow and choose the SEARCH GOOGLE entry from the dropdown list (this
is a Mozilla feature that FireFox does not retain).

3. from the Google window, launch as separate tabs each link I'm
interested in investigating, either one at a time or several one
after the other.

When done, I know tha the Google search is waiting as the first tab
page in this browser instance -- no need to refer to history menus,
it's right there as the first tab.

> I also keep an enormous tree of bookmarks, but arranged in a hierarchy
> so that (exception for a few special cases) no folder has more than 10
> items. (That's how I keep my files on disk, too.)  If I see a link
> that I think I may want to read but not right now, I make a bookmark
> and file it in the appropriate place to investigate some other day.
>
> I'm very happy with my system, and as Darcy mentioned, I tend to
> resist changing habits as long as I'm happy with my current ones.

The fact that a little lightbulb just went on should suggest to you
that you might get more out of trying it out than you think.

No one is sugggesting that you'd use it exactly like we do, but you
might find the feature integrates very well into your existing
working style and makes browsing more pleasant and productive.

But until you try it, you'll never know for certain.