On Aug 27, 2004, at 3:26 AM, dhbailey wrote:

When entering a chord on ANY beat, not just the last beat, you still have to arrow back, so the behavior at the end of the measure is no different from any other beat.

Sorry, I should have phrased that more carefully. Where I said "end of the measure", what I really meant was after the last entry that exists in the measure so far, whether it's the end of the measure or not. The point being that if you've already filled the measure with four quarter notes, and you go back to put your cursor on beat 3, you obviously don't expect your actions to affect beat 2 instead.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're asking. To add notes to a chord the cursor has to be at the position of the previously entered notes.

You're understanding me exactly right. What you describe is how it works in 2k2, and how I was told it works in 2k4. I was hoping they'd make the adjustment for 2k5.

In Speedy Entry (qwerty method) the following keystrokes affect the entry that the cursor is on:
- Enter (add a note to a chord)
- Clear (delete a note from a chord)
- Period (add a dot)
- Plus (sharp)
- Minus (flat)
- Astrisk (courtesy accidental)
- Equals (tie)
- Slash (break/connect beam)
- Semi-colon (make it a grace note)
- P (parenthesize accidental)
- L (flip stem)
- O (hide entry)
and maybe a few others I'm forgetting.

When the cursor is not over an entry, every one of those keystrokes works on the previous entry -- EXCEPT for the Enter key. Why the difference?

No, it's not a bug, since nothing in the documentation says it ought to be that way, but it seems so pointless. Any time you enter a chord with Speedy qwerty it doubles the number of keystrokes. Sure, with practice one learns to be pretty fast at that, but if they fixed the Enter key to work like all the others, with practice we could all learn to be even faster.

Can this really be so hard to change? What is it about the software that makes the one key behave differently anyway? Even Clear works on the previous entry, and Clear and Entry are practically mirror opposites.

It just baffles me that this has been left alone for so long. Surely I'm not the only one who uses Speedy qwerty.

mdl