On 31 Aug 2004 at 16:21, Richard Yates wrote:

> > > Based on what I have read here I am VERY hesitant to invest in a
> > > questionable product.
> >
> > The questionable product in this case is from Microsoft.
> > David W. Fenton
>
> David, with all of your contact  with Windows machines what has been
> your experience so far with SP2?

Well, first off, I have kept most of my clients from using WinXP,
except when they are forced to do so. This is because many clients of
mine have had terrible problems with WinXP (one of them "downgraded"
their PC from WinXP to Win2K after a year of dreadful problems). So,
my experience with WinXP is not as extensive as one would expect with
a version of Windows that has been out this long.

None of my clients use Windows Update by default, because I think
it's a disastrous choice to turn over control of your PC to MS, so
none of my WinXP clients has actually updated to SP2.

Furthermore, all of my clients who have Internet access are already
firewalled and protected from the kinds of security issues that SP2
mostly addresses.

And, last of all, I don't recommend to anyone that they apply OS
service packs until well after they have been widely tested by lots
of other people. None of my clients has yet asked me about SP2, but
if they were to do so, I'd tell them not to worry about it at all --
if it becomes a benefit to them to install it, I'll tell them at that
point.

As of this point, I don't see why anyone should be applying SP2.