There have been many movements afoot to make "You Are My Sunshine" the Louisiana state
song.  Ugh.  Sure, the writer (and former governor) Jimmie Davis had a gold record off
it, but...  On the other hand, I just can't recall WHAT the official song is.  Must be
really memorable...

Scott Green
Baton Rouge, LA

At 7:47 AM -0400 9/8/04, Crystal Premo wrote:
>>>Sorry, but "versions" don't count.  "Performers" don't count.
>>>"Recordings" don't count.  An anthem that represents the people
>>>has to COME from the people, and has to be singable by The
>>>People.<<
>
>I don't disagree with you, but aren't anthems always chosen by some
>political committee, like state mottoes and state birds?
>
>Crystal Premo

Often, I'm sure.  Always?  Might make a good thesis topic for
someone.  "My Old Kentucky Home," "Back Home Again in Indiana," and
yes, "Carry Me Back to Old Virginia" (by James Bland, a Black
composer who never lived in the South himself) have the feeling of
having been adopted by popular acclaim, even if a state legislature
did vote on them.  There are states that I have no idea whether they
have state songs, or what they are if they do.  I don't know whether
"Rocky Top" is Tennesee's official state song, but it's sure one that
gets played a lot and fires up the troops.  My home state of
Washington?  Never heard a state song when I was growing up.

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music