The "O Christmas Tree" tune is not the original tune for the Maryland
state song.  For a short time they had the same words, but a different
tune.  Sorry, I don't remember the tune.  But a couple of years ago we
went to a concert by the Gay Men's Chorus of Maryland, and they sang the
state song to the original tune.  It was odd to hear the familiar words
to a different tune!

Leti