On 10 Sep 2004 at 22:06, d. collins wrote:

> David W. Fenton écrit:
> >2. you're already using your PC with a user-level logon (not
> >administrative).
>
> Could you please explain this in more detail (in the case of Win2K)?

You are a computer user. But you do different kinds of tasks:

1. reading email, typing letters, creating Finale documents, simply
manipulating data (and doing nothing to the system).

2. installing software, installing new hardware, etc., and otherwise
altering the configuration of the system itself.

The first group of tasks are USER tasks, the second ADMINISTRATIVE
tasks. USER tasks manipulate data. ADMINISTRATIVE tasks manipulate
the configuration of the system itself.

To accomplish the first group of tasks you do not need the power to
do the second group of tasks.

Every NT-based version of Windows has always shipped with certain
predefined user groups, each with its own associated set of
permissions and privileges. The two key groups are USERS and
ADMINISTRATORS. When you initially set up an NT-based Windows
computer, the first account you create is the default ADMINISTRATOR
account. This is the ROOT account on your PC, the one that has
special status as your PC's God, so to speak. That logon has
permission to alter and change EVERYTHING on your PC, full permission
and privileges on everything.

It is not wise to log on as ROOT on a regular basis, because you can
accidentally do damage to your system, especially if you were to
inadvertently execute a worm, virus or Trojan -- any program you
launch as ROOT inherits all the permissions of the user logon it is
running as.

Therefore, the only safe and prudent way to use your computer is to
create a USER logon that you use as a regular basis that has only
USER-level permissions. The result is that less damage can be done to
your system if a rogue program is executed. It also means that
whenever you need to install software or hardware (or change
software/hardware configurations), you must log on as an
ADMINISTRATIVE-level user. Some people seem to find this minor
inconvenience intolerably irritating and use this minor extra step as
justification for skipping the safe step of working normally as a
user-level logon. I don't understand why people are so willing to
give up the safety because of such a minor inconvenience. It reminds
of people who won't wear seat belts in automobiles.

A few random points:

1. some older software was not designed to be able to run properly
with only user-level access. For instance, with the user-level
permissions for writing to the system registry of Win2K and WinXP,
Word 97's spell checker won't run (in NT 4, the permissions on the
Office 97 registry keys were more permissive). This is easily fixed
by changing giving the USERS group full control of the appropriate
Office 97 registry key (it's one of the Proofing Tools keys).
Irritatingly, there are lots of software installers that long post-
date NT that still aren't designed on the assumption that the
programs they install need to be able to be run with only user-level
permissions (indeed, most installers should be able to install with
only user-level permissions, since it's perfectly conceivable that
software would be installed only for the currently logged-on user;
many installers stiill can't do this). This causes some programs to
break when run under a user-level logon. The only case where this is
OK would be for installers created for NT 4 (i.e., before the release
of Win2K, which tightened permissions/privileges significantly in
comparison to NT 4), and that means installers created before about
1999 (when Win2K was released). Any software that postdates the
release of Win2K should have been designed by default to run
perfectly OK with only user-level permissions.

2. Microsoft has configured the Windows setup process to encourage
users to do two very unsafe things:

  a. run as an administrative-level user

  b. log on automatically.

This is so that the new NT-based versions of Windows seem to work
just like the old versions of Windows, where you were always running
as root and didn't have to log on to the system, and so that users
never run into the "you don't have permission to do this" prompt. The
problem with this is, of course, that you then lose all the benefits
of having a built-in security system and access control lists (ACLs)
that restrict access to objects in the system registry and in the
file system. The other result of this is that the vast majority of
home users haven't a clue why they are getting infected with
everything under the sun -- it's actually because they are running in
the most insecure configuration imaginable.

Basically, the current computer ecosystem demands that you be a good
citizen and *not* run in a configuration that allows rogue software
to infect your machine.

Now, it is certainly the case that even running as a restricted user
you can infect yourself, but the potential damage is not as great as
when you are running as an administrator. That degree of additional
safety is worth the extremely minor inconvenience that comes from
running as a restricted user.