Hi David,

Therefore, the only safe and prudent way to use your computer is to
create a USER logon that you use as a regular basis that has only
USER-level permissions. The result is that less damage can be done to
your system if a rogue program is executed. It also means that
whenever you need to install software or hardware (or change
software/hardware configurations), you must log on as an
ADMINISTRATIVE-level user. Some people seem to find this minor
inconvenience intolerably irritating and use this minor extra step as
justification for skipping the safe step of working normally as a
user-level logon. I don't understand why people are so willing to
give up the safety because of such a minor inconvenience. It reminds
of people who won't wear seat belts in automobiles.

In OS X, this problem is solved by requiring even users who have admin privileges to authenticate (i.e., enter their password) before they perform admin-level tasks, like installing software, etc.

It also allows non-admin level users to perform admin-level tasks, without logging out, if they can supply the name and password of an admin-level user.

There may be flaws in this method that I'm not aware of, but it does seem (to me, at least) that it gives basically the same level of security as having separate admin and user accounts for the same person (since a password is always required for all admin-level actions), but without the hassle of having to log off and log on again using a different user profile.

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn, NY