Crystal Premo wrote:
Perhaps I am too inexperienced to have seen this before, but a client has given me a chart with edits, some of which are for measure numbers. It is a lead sheet for a jazz tune, with measure numbers on the first measure of each system. He has now indicated to place measure numbers under first and second endings thusly: the first ending is measure 8, and an 8 is written there. Under the ninth measure, which is the second ending, there is an (8), and underneath it a 16. Is this usual, to think of the first measure of the second ending as measure (8)/16? I've never seen this in published music, and it seems a little odd.

I've seen similar things before, although more often with the second bar indicated as " 2/(10)". I always feel it's superfluous, though.

Me, too. But I'll just do what the client wants.

Crystal Premo