On 19 Jan 2005 at 17:37, Jari Williamsson wrote:

> Simon Troup wrote:
>
> > I've been reading through this thread and find
>  > it inexplicable. In no way can I produce the results
>  > of which people are complaining. I've tried several
>  > methods and they all produce excellent quality PDF
> > files. Any PDF file I produce then print is
> > identical in every respect to the printout straight
>  > from Finale.
>
> I think this might be a Windows-only issue.

Well, FWIW, I use PDF995, and my printouts direct from Finale are
completely identical to printouts from its PDFs -- I've held them up
to the light to check. I can find no differeces whatsoever.

But I'm not printing to a PostScript printer (well, technically, I
am, just that I'm printing via PCL rather than PS, which I've found
to simply be more trouble than it's worth).

The problems are not with the software used, but with the
configurations that particular people are using. However, I don't
know exactly which factors would be at issue. It could be something
to do with certain print resolutions being supported in direct
printing in a manner that is different from what happens when
printing to your PDF-producing program. Of course, if you're all
using PostScript for your printers by default, that would really be
counterintuitive, since it ought to be the same PS output in both
cases.

Clearly, for some reason, it isn't.

Is it possible to "decompile" a PDF and look at the PS inside?