At 04:20 PM 1/19/2005, you wrote:

Well, FWIW, I use PDF995, and my printouts direct from Finale are
completely identical to printouts from its PDFs -- I've held them up
to the light to check. I can find no differeces whatsoever.

I also use PDF995 with WinFin 2004b, HPDeskjet 842c true type fonts at 600dpi. PDFs have noticably thicker lines which vary in thickness. The quality of the printout is greatly inferior to Finale direct output. 8.5x11 on all print and document settings. No scaling. I wonder why I don't get the same results as you do? Zooming in on screen reveals that the fonts in the PDF aren't perfectly aligned either.

But I'm not printing to a PostScript printer (well, technically, I
am, just that I'm printing via PCL rather than PS, which I've found
to simply be more trouble than it's worth).

The problems are not with the software used, but with the
configurations that particular people are using. However, I don't
know exactly which factors would be at issue.

I would like to know what settings would improve the output, if that is indeed the problem.

regards,

Steve

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.7.1 - Release Date: 1/19/2005