I'd just like to chip in that if you do a search for [EMAIL PROTECTED] you get
a bunch of hits from mailing lists such as PHP and Suse Linux - I didn't
realise that those lists published their archives WITH email addresses to the
web.

That scenario is clearly stupid and should be avoided at all costs. I now get
400+ emails a day, only about 20 of the legitimate, the rest is spam.

The very least that mailing lists should do is to withold email addresses, or
make them so that email spiders cannot retrieve them. Leaving unencrypted email
address in archives is completely irresponsible.
--
Simon Troup
Digital Music Art