dhbailey / 05.1.28 / 04:16 PM wrote:

>For many of us, there isn't enough time in the day to 1) compose, 2)
>engrave the music into Finale and 3) export as midi file from Finale
>into a sequencer (after having put in many hours/days learning how to
>operate the sequencer to get decent playback) in order to get great
>playback in order to create demo recordings to send to conductors or
>publishers who demand recordings with submissions.

Aha!  That's why I lost my income!  Finale at fault!

I used to work for Broadway scenes where I receive Finale files and
sequence to make it sound _real_ by playing all the parts by hand into
sequencer using two units of K2600Rs which contains the real samples
played by Broadway musicians, no SMF transfer.  I can't tell you the
specifics on this job since I was laid off when the company got sued from
the Union :-(

In that industry, no one believed machine constructed data can be music
they use.  Human must play data organically.  It is too weird if tutti is
too tutti, y'know.  Even when 1st vln and 2nd vln are unison, I don't
copy them but I play them twice to get organic.

By the way, there is another reason for this.  If 1st vln and 2nd vln are
playing the same data (unison) and you gave them the same patch, while
the assigned channels are different of course, then you will get comb
filter effect (fq cancellation), which result is terrible
misrepresentation of instrument character.  The drawback of sampled (time
sliced data) sound.

Anyway, I get these job calls no more for about two years.  Did Finale
replace me?

For my current workflow, I write on piano with pencil, put them into
Finale, Finale playback to proofread (no HP for me).  If demo is needed,
I then play into DP, pretending I am reading the parts as a sight-reader.
 Sequencer in this regard is very easy.  You set the track with target
instrument, then just play.  If rit. is needed, you can play first then
align the beat line, or you set the metronome rit. graphically first then
play with the click.  Very easy once you practice with a piece or two.
Mind you I am just a flute/ewi player whose piano chops is terrible but
sequencer let me play slooooooooooow.

--

- Hiro

Hiroaki Honshuku, A-NO-NE Music, Boston, MA
<http://a-no-ne.com> <http://anonemusic.com>