Hi Andrew,

I'm not sure here if you are referring to buying the second-fastest option in the current generation or PowerMacs, or the fastest model from the previous generation. Recent history suggests that the latter is not always a very good bang-for-the-buck strategy -- for instance, when the PowerMac G5s were first announced, it would have been foolish to buy a dual 1.42 GHz G4 instead of a single 1.8 GHz G5 (the #2 model of G5). Apple updates its PowerMac lineup infrequently -- often 9-12 months go by without an upgrade -- that the previous generation is usually getting pretty long in the tooth by the time the next one is announced. The next generation usually represents a significant leap in bang-for-your-buck compared to the older models. And when the new models *are* released, the price drops are often not as significant as you'd expect. For instance, the previous generation's top-of-the line PowerMac was a dual 2 GHz G5. When the current generation was announced, the close-out price of the _old_ dual 2 GHz G5 didn't drop significantly below the price of the _next-generation_ dual 2 GHz G5 (now the #2 model), even though the next-gen model had better specs.

Don't get me wrong -- sometimes, buying previous-gen models when the next-gen machines are announced can get you a good deal. But I wouldn't recommend it as a general strategy, especially when dealing with Apple hardware. You have to evaluate things on a case-by-case basis. (And, of course, check http://dealmac.com/ religiously.)

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn, NY