Aaron,

If musicians won't fight for our own interests, who will?

Maybe the Virtual Orchestra Machine will put us all out of business one day. Who knows? That doesn't mean we have to take it lying down.

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn, NY

On 29 Jan 2005, at 6:52 PM, Aaron Sherber wrote:

At 04:39 PM 01/29/2005, Christopher Smith wrote:
>Where the difference is, is that computers have not put engravers out
>of work (except in the very lowest echelons of publication) to the same
>extent that sequencers have cut into musicians' jobs. There is not
>enough work to go around to all the displaced musicians, unlike former
>hand-copyists and engravers.

Yes, my analogy was not the best. Still, if changing market conditions leave us with a glut of professional musicians, I think it's not necessarily clear that we should artificially restrain those market changes (by banning the Sinfonia, for example) in order to preserve more jobs.

Aaron.