On 30 Jan 2005, at 7:31 AM, dhbailey wrote:

Darcy James Argue wrote:

Aaron,
If musicians won't fight for our own interests, who will?
Maybe the Virtual Orchestra Machine will put us all out of business one day. Who knows? That doesn't mean we have to take it lying down.

Indeed! Boycott those shows who use computer-controlled lighting since it put lighting workers out of work!

*Of course* lighting workers should fight back when somebody tries to eliminate their jobs. What the hell is wrong with standing up for your own best economic interests? Your counsel amounts to "Might as well lie back and enjoy it."

It's probably a losing battle, as you say, but that doesn't mean workers ought to just meekly accept it every time corporations try to eliminate their jobs. The corporation always acts in its own best interests -- workers have every right to do the same. They would be foolish to do otherwise.

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn, NY