On Feb 13, 2005, at 1:51 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

I'm not sure where you're getting the "sz" from -- that is not what
it is at all. If you look at it in German schrift (i.e.,
handwriting), it's quite clear that it's two s's, one the "f-like"
version followed by a crook to a regular lower-case s.

At <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharp_s_(ess-zed)> there is a brief discussion about the origin of the ligature. It seems there are differing opinions whether the glyph originated as a ligature of s-z or s-s.

I profess no opinion on that subject. I only called it "sz" because that's what I've heard it called. In HTML, the code for the character is "szlig". When discussed, it is named "es-zett", which is the full names of the letters s and z in German.

I do of course realize that, in spite of its name, the glyph is the equivalent of a double s, not an s and a z.

mdl