Barbara Touburg wrote:
OK, but what are the triangles there for then??

The manual says:
"Drag the positioning triangles to adjust the vertical positioning of the
expressions. These triangles are handles that control the baseline for the
expressions (the invisible line against which the bottoms of the letters
align). Dragging the leftmost triangle up or down moves the baseline for
these expressions vertically, affecting the entire piece. The second
triangle sets the baseline for expressions for this staff only. The third
triangle, whose effect is only visible in Page View, sets the baseline for
this staff in this system only. The rightmost triangle sets the baseline for
the next expression you enter."

Dragging the second triangle up just does not work (for me). The expressions
stay below the staff. Am I missing something? I don't get it.

The triangles and I have never been more than disgruntled fellow-workers who would rather be anywhere else but next to each other. I try to avoid messing with them and work hard so they don't screw up my work. :-)

I figure I've done more profitable work simply clicking and dragging than messing around trying to get the triangles to do that job for me. And I've never wanted all my expressions exactly the same distance above or below the staff, since the music I work on has jagged edges above and below the staff.

I place the expressions where they look best and have done with it.

--
David H. Bailey