Chuck Israels wrote:

Hi folks,

Am I the only one who has seen the announcement of Finale 2006? There's usually a lot of discussion when these things are announced, and there seem to be some significant improvements (along with the usual bells and whistles), including what looks like a real improvement in control of mass copying behavior, much more flexibility and efficiency in dealing with libraries, and some help with graphic export (something I rarely use, but would if it were easier. There's also integration with Garritan (nice for me, since I now seem to be a little part of that, and will certainly find use for the jazz sound samples), and improved Kontact integration (or so the PR seems to indicate).

At least this is how things appear on the web site, if I have understood correctly.

Don't know if everyone will be satisfied, but things seem to be looking up. I see no delivery date listed.

I received the offer, too. The expected shipping date is given only as July, 2005.

I tried to order it but when I clicked on CHECKOUT I got the error message that the page contained no data.

Seems like they don't have their web-site setup yet properly to handle the new upgrade orders.

The cost to upgrade from 2005 is $99, and from 2004 and earlier versions is $149.

Guess I'll try to order later.

Of course the Garritan sounds that come with the program are a limited set, and at an extra cost you can buy the full Personal Orchestra sounds and for an additional cost you buy the Garritan Jazz sounds.

The upgrade sounds as much as a tickler to generate more sales for Garritan sounds as an upgrade for Finale. I wonder how much of each additional sale of Garritan sounds Finale gets to keep. I also wonder how frustrated we'll be by the set included with Finale (remember all our complaints about the sounds in the default soundfont included with recent versions of Finale).

But there seem to be some other facets of the upgrade that will probably make it worthwhile, such as split measures, mid-measure repeats (it'll be interesting to see how that feature works!), score system dividers (I wonder if it's just Jari's plug-in).

And there are the "gee I wanna be more like Sibelius" features such as textured papers, the inclusion of the Kontakt Player (probably specially fitted for Finale only, just as with Sibelius but that's just conjecture on my part), a mixer panel which claims to have real-time controls for panning, volume, patch.

--
David H. Bailey