On 29 Jun 2005 at 18:15, Christopher Smith wrote:

> On Jun 29, 2005, at 6:04 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
>
> > On 29 Jun 2005 at 15:37, Darcy James Argue wrote:
> >> - but
> >> there are many excellent reasons why someone would choose 6/4 over
> >> 3/2 for a piece in 3 half-note beats.
> >
> > None of the musical training or musical experience I've had anywhere
> > in my life would lead me to see that as acceptable.
>
> You need to play more jazz, man!

I don't think 6 quarter notes is at all the same thing as 3x2/4 or
2x3/4, any more than 4/4 is indistinguishable from two measures of
2/4.

I had not considered the meter of 6/Q because it doesn't really exist
in traditional music.

It also doesn't really fall under my formulation, as I have very
clearly limited my comments to music that is subdivided as 3x2/4 that
is notated in 6/4. What I'm saying is that music that is in 3/H
should not be notated with 2/H. as the time signature.

Can someone come up with a reason why that should be done?

Basically what I'm saying is:

If you use 6/4 to mean 6/Q, then it makes perfect sense to me.

But if you use it to mean 3/H, it's confusing (because there seems to
be no reason that 3/2 would not be preferable) and, I'd say, wrong.