On 29 Jun 2005 at 23:15, Darcy James Argue wrote:
[nothing I'm quoting here, but I can't find the original post, but
wanted to respond to something Raymond said]

> On 29 Jun 2005, at 9:28 PM, Raymond Horton wrote:

> > The work in question is most definitely in two groups of 3 beats
> > each (although it often hemiolas into 3/2 temporarily).

That's not the right meaning of hemiola. A hemiola is:

W   W     W
H H H | H H H

across two measures in a 3/2 context, (or H H H in two 3/4 measures).
In 3/2, the hemiola is overlaying a 3/1 measure over top of two 3/2
measures.

In the group I play in, we call the switch to 3/2 in a 6/4 passage a
"reverse hemiola," because it speeds up the pulse, whereas the
function of the hemiola is always to slow down the pulse. In the
music where the hemiola is part of the dialect, it's usually a pre-
candential harmonic rhythm change that is slowed down, going from
harmonic rhythm of HHH to harmonic change at half that speed.