I am obviously stupid, but can someone explain to me what this means, and in what way it is an example for 6/4 being 3x2/4? The poem seems to be in 2x3/4.

Johannes

Andrew Stiller schrieb:
'd be interested to know about any piece in 6/4 before 1850 which is clearly 3x2/4, do you know one?

Johannes
--

William Billings: "Modern Music." The text of the 6/4 section addresses the issue directly, and makes it clear that compound 6/4 was commonplace:

"Through common and treble we jointly have run.
We'll give you their essence compounded in one.
Although we are strongly attached to the rest,
Six-four is the movement that pleases us best."

Numerous other examples could be cited, but this one is particularly blatant.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/

http://www.musikmanufaktur.com