Noel Stoutenburg wrote:

Johannes Gebauer wrote:

While we are on about it: House styles is another area where Sibelius is far superior to Finale.

In my considerations of Sibelius, the closed, proprietary way they treat the data file structure is such an early consideration, that I'm not reached the point of understanding exactly what a house style is. Intuitively, this would reaonsably include what fonts to use, details of spacing, of line widths, of beaming methods, of shape and spacing, of ties and slurs. But I can create a Finale template document which has the line thicknesses, and staff and system spacings, and font selections, and even additional "insert" items as reserved text blocks, and which pre-loads designated libraries.

What can a Sibelius "House Style" do that one cannot do with a Finale template?

You can create a document using one Sibelius House Style and then later on simply change the House Style to a different one and the necessary items will alter in the file you've already created.

In Finale to do that, you need to create the file in one template, then open the second template with the different style and then try to copy all of your musical data from the first file to the new template.

And we all know how wonderful Finale is at copying all the musical details between files. :-) (not!)

Sibelius' House Styles removes the necessity to copy music from one template to another template simply to duplicate the appearance of another file.

--
David H. Bailey