Mark D Lew wrote:
[snip]> out-of-the-box settings are like, since I always use my own. Maybe they
suck. If so, MakeMusic could accomplish a lot without touching the program at all and just making some decent templates.

You know, you may have just said a mouthful with that remark!

If Finale would make include some templates which are predefined for various house-styles (Henle, Breitkopf&Haertel, Boosey&Hawkes, G.Schirmer, Schott, Carl Fischer, Southern Music, Rubank, whatever) with libraries which include more common dynamic marks, more common tempo marks, all the common expression marks such as rit., accel., full words as well as abbreviations, slur settings, tie-end settings, beaming conventions, they could go a long way to improving a lot about Finale which leaves beginners looking at not-so-great output and veteran Finale users having to scramble to make their own such templates.

Then for programming, all they would need to do to improve this area would be to add a "Change Underlying Template" feature which would make use of whatever code Patterson's Copy Settings plug-in (I think it is his plug-in) used and whatever else would be necessary to open a new template and copy _everything_ exactly as it is in the original file, but with the new settings of the new template.

That would go a long way to equalizing Sibelius' "House Styles" and the ease with which they can be changed, as well as helping veteran Finale users who find that they need to change major aspects of a project while in the middle.

--
David H. Bailey