Darcy James Argue wrote:
[snip]

No, you cannot. Sibelius does not provide their own soundfont -- Finale does (in addition to the GPO sounds).

I haven't used the Finale-provided soundfont other than to check my installation -- then I substitute one which I prefer for the Finale-provided one.

, so I'm not quite sure what you're trying to point out to me. I've been using soundfonts ever since my SoundBlaster AWE32 soundcard.

This has nothing to do with your sound card. The instruments in Finale's SmartMusic SoftSynth soundfont are provided by FINALE. They sound exactly the same on any decent sound card.

To my knowledge, Sibelius does not provide an equivalent to the SmartMusic SoftSynth soundfont. You have to use a thrid-party soundfont (like QuickTime Musical Instruments or whatnot).

You're absolutely right that Sibelius doesn't include a soundfont softsynth, although I have made a request to them to include that.

With a soundfont-enabled card (which is what I use) I can use the Finale soundfont if I wish, making both programs' playback exactly the same, simply selecting my Audigy Synth A (or B or both) in the midi devices list.

Playback for band works in both programs is the same, Finale's isn't superior.

That is simply false.

No, it's not simply false. It may be false under default installations of both programs. And it may be false for some people, but for me the playback is the same -- playing either through my soundfont-enabled soundcard or through external midi devices.

What's better, a Finale+GPO rendition of a concert band work that contains every concert band instrument except saxophones (substituting clarinets or double-reeds on their parts, as I do now), or a Sibelius rendition of the same work with no tuba, no piccolo, no xylophone, and only eight instruments playing?

Neither is better in my estimation -- imagine sending a recording of a work you want published or performed to a potential publisher or director and having to explain that it's not actually a realistic sound becaue those extra clarinet or bassoon sounds aren't really extra clarinet or bassoon parts but are supposed to be saxes.

But I said in another message, I don't think that just because Sibelius is terrible in this department that lets Finale off the hook, not if they're actively trying to be a market leader.

--
David H. Bailey