And i still don't understand the reason for "pants" roles!

John

Two reasons.

1) In Baroque opera, vocal range was a function of the age of the character more than its sex. The young hero was a soprano, and so was his love interest. Her duenna was a tenor. The king/philosopher/father was a bass.

2) In later operas, pant roles represent prepubescent boys. If you assume (as was in fact the case) that any significant operatic role must be performed by an adult, then the role of a little boy must be played by an alto or soprano. And if (as was again the case) countertenors no longer were recognized, then it follows automatically that the part must go to a woman.

I might add that outside of England there was never, historically, much place for countertenors in opera, because their sound was deemed too weak for the stage. We use them all the time now to fill castrato roles, but back in the day they preferred to use women if castrati were unavailable.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/