On 22 Jul 2005 at 19:48, Mark D Lew wrote:

> On Jul 22, 2005, at 7:07 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
>
> > You're making the same mistake as the Texas rulemakers.
>
> No, I'm not.
>
> > You're looking at "normal" for the population of men.
> >
> > We're looking at "normal" for individuals.
>
> No, what you are doing is misreading my words in order to play games
> with the word "normal".  I explicitly stated that I'm not passing
> judgment on anyone but only stating the fact that the physical
> mechanism for countertenor singing is different.  You chose to ignore
> that and rebut an imaginary person who is arguing that countertenors
> are abnormal, inferior, and wrong.  I'm not sure who, if anyone, is
> claiming that.  It certainly isn't me.

Well, it seems to me that the TMEA is making that argument.

I apparently misunderstood you to be defending the use of
"normal/abnormal" as a criterion for rejecting certain singers.

[]

> That's the point I'm trying to make about countertenors.  The way they
> sing is outside the norm.  That's not a criticism, it's a fact.  All
> your arguing about how a certain countertenor you know was a better
> singer when he sang countertenor is completely beside the point.
> That's true of almost any serious countertenor singer, and I've known
> several of them.

So, then, you are *against* the TMEA's rules that prohibit
countertenors, however "abnormal" their vocal production, from
participating in all-state choir?

Personally, I think the use of the word "normal" for this is wrong in
the first place. What is meant instead is "normative," i.e., what
*most* people do. "Abnormal" means unhealthy or wrong, whereas
there's nothing unhealthy about countertenor vocal production.