Well, last summer I heard Michael Manicaci, who lists himself as "male soprano", sing an easily lofted and poised high c that many sopranos would envy (I'll bet he has range above that). His phrasing and tone in Handel's Imeneo -- and Orlando the summer before -- were both stunning and beyond reproach. The Imeneo may be heard in a live broadcast on NPR (today in my neighborhood -- maybe yours too).

Dan Carno

At 05:06 AM 7/22/2005, you wrote:
Andrew Stiller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote

>That said, however, the question of whether a countertenor may
>legitimately sing a given alto line (let's leave the sopranos out of
>it--I never heard of a countertenor who could hit a C above the treble
>clef and live to tell about it) is entirely a matter of what would have
>been considered appropriate at the time and place that the music was
>created.

A friend of mine at college (Selwyn, Cambridge, England) had a reliable top C. He auditioned for a choral scholarship at King's College, but despite being amazed, Boris Ord turned him down, possibly because his sight reading was not quite good enough. Also the voice was not particularly appropriate for the job: the quality in the alto range was good, but not exceptional, and King's has boys for trebles.

--
Ken Moore
Musician and engineer

Daniel Carno
Music Engraving Services
Quality work in Sibelius, Finale, and Score
4514 Makyes Road
Syracuse, New York 13215
(315) 492-2987