At 1:08 PM -0700 7/23/05, Mark D Lew wrote:
On Jul 23, 2005, at 8:29 AM, Andrew Stiller wrote:

1) In Baroque opera, vocal range was a function of the age of the character more than its sex. The young hero was a soprano, and so was his love interest. Her duenna was a tenor. The king/philosopher/father was a bass.

2) In later operas, pant roles represent prepubescent boys. If you assume (as was in fact the case) that any significant operatic role must be performed by an adult, then the role of a little boy must be played by an alto or soprano. And if (as was again the case) countertenors no longer were recognized, then it follows automatically that the part must go to a woman.

Excellent summary, Andrew. I would quibble with only one word. In later operas, pants roles represent male youths, but they are not "prepubescent". In some cases, their pubescence is very much a part of the story. Octavian is most certainly not prepubescent. Cherubino and Siebel are young, but their behavior is clearly that of pubescent teenagers.

I'm honored to have two such knowledgeable people replying to and debating my question! If Mark is correct, then Andrew's equating youthfulness with vocal range makes sense, even though WE would think of a treble (or mezzo) voice as representing an unchanged boy's voice. It is not, then, a literal statement that the character has or has not gone through puberty (which I assume was associated with voice change in boys in the 18th and early 19th centuries just as it is today, but which typically did not hit boys until about age 17 rather than age 12 as it does today). Thus a 15 or 16 year old boy (a real one, not an operatic character) could still be speaking in an unchanged voice, but would also not be sexually mature. (Which is not to say that he wouldn't have been interested!!) But of course it is the character, as limned by the librettist, that has to determine how each role is played.

The young couple in Monteverdi's "Poppea," who provide both comic relief and a wonderfully innocent contrast with the pure ambition dripping from both Nerone and Poppea, seem to be right on the cusp of puberty, with Damigella clearly looking forward to learning more as soon as possible and the boy not quite so sure! My knowledge of 17th century Venetian opera is not deep enough to guess what gender or age the actors of those parts might have been. There were no actresses in Shakespeare's England, correct? But I don't know about Monteverdi's Italy. I can't imagine Poppea not being a woman, and a damned sensual one at that. Didn't Strozzi and the Caccini sisters perform in operas?

On the few occasions when a character in an opera really is supposed to be a prepubescent boy, the score generally calls for it to be played by a boy whose voice has not yet changed -- eg, the genii in Magic Flute, the shepherd boy in Tosca, Yniold, Miles, Amahl, Griffelkin. These roles are sometimes cast as women simply because a suitably talented boy cannot be found, but that's not the same as the trouser-role tradition.

Opera--perhaps theater in general--certainly has some strange traditions!

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music