On Aug 4, 2005, at 1:25 PM, Darcy James Argue wrote:

On 04 Aug 2005, at 3:54 PM, Karen wrote:

So I'd just copy the contents of that folder (minus the MakeMusic folder, and minus the Address Book folder if you've made any changes to the Address Book on your new computer since restoring from the backup you made) to your new computer. (You can use the FireWire target mode trick to do that -- hook up the two computers using that FireWire cable you bought, and restart the old one while holding down the "T" key. The old computer's HD will then show up on your new computer's desktop.

That may indeed do the trick. However, I have learned the hard way that Target disk mode can cause low level directory corruption on the machine that is put into target disk mode. I now prefer to use File sharing to transfer files from one machine to another. A pen drive or CD will also work of course if your backups aren't on an external storage drive.

Really? I haven't heard that. I've never had a problem with FW Target Disk Mode.

Unfortunately, yes. Not sure why and it doesn't always happen. My guess is that one should start the machine up in Target Disk mode first and then attach the firewire cable rather than restarting in Target Disk mode while the machines are already connected. But I don't know for sure if this is the issue. I was lucky because disk warrior took care of the directory corruption. But I had to let it run for nearly 4 hours. It looked like the system was hanging up when the kernel went to initialize the I/O Kit. A friend of mine had this happen too except on hers OF couldn't find BootX.

Anyway, I don't think Dean is planning on using his old iMac anymore. I assume he's going to sell it or donate it, and he'll want to wipe the HD on it before doing that anyway.

Then he should be fine. The directory issue can of course be solved by wiping the drive and re-installing the OS.

Take care,

Karen