On 10 Aug 2005 at 17:52, Darcy James Argue wrote:

> On 10 Aug 2005, at 5:43 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
>
> > In the last couple of weeks, this list has generated around 75-100
> > messages a day. if you have new mail notification turned on in your
> > email client (and there are good reasons to do so), that would been
> > 75-100 notices for non-urgent messages. On Digest, that would be
> > only 3 or 4 a day.
>
> I don't know about other mail clients but you Apple Mail only gives
> you a visual alert (a badge on the Mail icon in the Dock) when you
> have new messages in your Inbox.  If your list mail is shunted to a
> separate folder, it will give you an (optional) audio alert when the
> first new message arrives, and then not bother you again until you
> switch to Mail.  So you would not have 75-100 interruptions -- only
> one (until you switch to Mail), and even then, it would be clear --
> without even switching to Mail -- that the new message was from a
> mailing list and wasn't potentially important private correspondence.

Well, *I* can't use Apple Mail, nor can any other Windows user.
Indeed, I know of no Windows email client that offers the nice
feature you describe, so it's really a non-starter as a solution to
the problem.

In any event, this is ridiculous, Darcy.

The Digest obviously works for many people or they wouldn't subscribe
to it. And lack of trimming of quotations is a problem even for those
who *aren't* on Digest, even though it is more of an annoyance to
Digest readers than to those getting all emails.

[]

> > Er, the mailing list software sets the reply to address on list
> > posts to include both the list and the original poster's address.
>
> No it doesn't.  (It does this when I reply to _you_ for some reason,
> but not for anybody else on the list.)

It does it for any post to the list that has a Reply-To header (as
every properly formatted email message should).