On 18 Sep 2005 at 1:19, Owain Sutton wrote:

> Christopher Smith wrote:
> >> It's also on the Edit toolbar
> >
> > Hmm, must be a PC thing. There's no Edit toolbar I can find on my
> > Mac version (2005)
>
> Another Mac user could perhaps confirm this....but (I think) the Edit
> toolbar is one of those which is permanently displayed in the default
> 2005 PC install.

Well, I can't really tell what the defaults are in my current version
of Finale or in the Finale 2005 demo, since I copied my Finale 2003
INI file over to the demo folder, but I had the same question -- I
couldn't find an Edit menu.

Then I noticed on the Windows menu that there's an MENU TOOLBARS item
that takes you to a list of toolbars that replicate menu
functionality.

I wish the toolbars were customizable like typical Microsoft toolbars
so I could select certain buttons to have on a custom toolbar. I'd
love to have a toolbar with the FILE OPEN and FILE SAVE shortcuts (I
use Ctrl-O and Ctrl-S, but the I also like having the toolbar icons,
as well), the UNDO/REDO buttons, the SELECT PARTIAL MEASURES button
and the SHOW CURRENT LAYER ONLY button. I can't see much else in the
available menu toolbars that I'd want as shortcuts, and don't really
understand why so many of the toolbar icons simply replicate existing
keyboard shortcuts. For instance, the view percentage toolbar seems
remarkably obtuse, as it offers percentages that are already
available through easy keyboard shortcuts. If it offered *other*
percentages, that would seem to me to make more sense.

I also think Finale ought to have some customization of toolbars.

I do remember that the old Finale, way back in the earliest days
(i.e., Finale 2.01) offered some customization. But one used it at
one's own risk, as if you clicked on an empty toolbar icon slot,
Finale would crash.

I'd really like to be able to eliminate the icons I just don't ever
intend to use so that I could make room for others that I'd find
useful. I never want to allocate any more room than two rows of
toolbars across the top, so I'm currently stuck with the
configuration I have (Main tool palette, playback controls and
Advanced tools in the first row, Smart shape, Special tools,
Navigational tools and Help Menu in the second row).