On Nov 3, 2005, at 9:23 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

As you might guess, the "little kazoo band" remark is what set me

off. Nobody had to put up with that, ever, and the assumption behind

the remark that people *did* have to put up with it just annoys the

hell out of me.

I have to pop in here and make a little statement on behalf of the Luddites amongst us who are musicians first and computer geeks almost not at all.  There seems to me to be folks who use Finale and seem to know the ins and out of every computer operating system and how to manipulate them. And don't tell me to learn about them, I'm still spending my life trying to find out how Mahler does that thing he does.

I've always been intimidated by the midi aspect of Finale and in the early days of Finale ownership spent many a wasted hour going back and forth to "Computers and Music" in SF trying to get them to make it work. I'm always amazed that computers can do these amazingly complex tasks but can't tell me which wire to plug to which slot and then which dialogue box might apply to them.

So I happily put up with the "little kazoo band" (actually i thought it was quite miraculous to hear my notes played back to me in any form) and the "little kazoo band" saved me much time in rehearsal because I discovered the wrong notes ahead of time. This is all leading up to saying that I appreciate the Garritan sounds and will buy the full set and the jazz band. BUT, along with the engravers, it's the writing of the notes and the printing of them out that is of prime importance. And in that regard Finale worked much better in whatever the last version was in system 9.

Mike Greensill  ( 1.67 GHz  G4 powerbook 17" - Finale 2006a (sometimes) - 1.5GB memory )

www.mikegreensill.com