It allows you to edit the score for extraction without affecting your clean
score. These edits are likely to be

1. Preprocessing (e.g., TGTools Smart Explosion).
2. Cues.
3. Headers (as for staff names).
4. Miscellanous Edits.

Item #1 generally only applies for large band and orchestra scores, where it is
necessary, e.g., to break the 4 horn parts out onto separate staves before
extracting. (In many scores, they are combined on staves in the score to reduce
the vertical footprint of each system.) Judicious application of TGTools Smart
Explosion helps reduce the pain in this process to a surprising extent, even
with quite convoluted changes in the distribution of parts on staves from one
system to the next.

Item #2 is obvious. It is much easier to create cues before extracting,
especially with the help of tools like TGTools Add Cue Notes.

Item #3 is less obvious, unless you happen to use my Copyist Helper plugin.
Then what you do is create headers with staff-name placeholders. After
extraction, the plugin can convert the placeholders to actual staff names. This
is far more flexible than the limited features for staffname headers built into
Finale's part extraction. These added flexibilities include

1. Precise placement of a header on page 1. Precise placement of a different
header on the rest of the pages.

2. The ability to embed the staffname inside other text.

3. For doubling parts, the ability to show the current instrument name in
addition to (or instead of) the staff name, e.g. "Reed 1--Soprano Sax".

For more info, see the Copyist Helper page at my website.

Item #4 (Miscellaneous) may include stuff like moving the titles on page 1
(and/or global titles) to match what you want in each part. For me, quite
often, the placement of page 1 titles in the score bears only passing
resemblance to that for parts. It's a nuisance to move them around separately
in each part.

Robert