On Dec 21, 2005, at 4:24 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

On 21 Dec 2005 at 10:54, Brad Beyenhof wrote:

Actually, Dean, if you haven't done much work on the files since
extraction I would very much recommend creating a separate Parts score
as Johannes suggested. I was under the impression that you had already
done some work on the files individually and didn't want to have to
re-extract. If this is not an issue, a new Parts score is what I
always use to change sizes and such for the parts.

Please explain to me why you need to do this. I don't get it, since
the settings for most things in parts are controllable simply by
setting them in the default parts page layout or at the time that you
extract parts.

What aspects of layout are fixed by forking the file before you
extract parts?

Well, allow me to jump in.

Keep in mind that I am trying to reduce this list as much as possible, and in fact, have succeeded in some instances.

Measure number assignments, positioning and font size. Now that I can set the measure numbers to a fixed size, setting font size differently is not always necessary, but if I do, then I have to edit the positioning as well. Sometimes in some styles of music I need measure numbers in all measures in the score, but only at the start of the system in the parts.

Title positioning and size. Try as I might, I can't always get a position that works well in the score AND the parts. Usually it's the score position I change.

Measure expressions. The spacing that goes on in the score is different than the parts, and that usually creates some places where I have to nudge an expression. If a client wants a concert score (I try to avoid that) then part transposition ends up creating situations that need to be changed, too. I usually extract one part, move stuff around, duplicate it in the score, and extract the rest. When I use Special Part Extraction, I only have to do this once.

Smart shape wedges. Ditto. Optimum score placement is not always the same as optimum part placement.

I can't think of any more, but some things tend to crop up when I do it, and I just adjust them and don't worry, because it's only a copy of the score!

Christopher