On 24.01.2006 Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:
What do folks normally do? Because I do exclusively new music, it's not
like I'm a jealous guardian of the original files. I feel like they belong
with the composer. On the other hand, I'm not enthused about offering
ongoing help in this way, even though this is an occasional but faithful
engraving client.

I used to refuse to give my files away, but my policy on this has changed. I also use several custom fonts (eg I use my own font for the numbers in first and second endings), so I warn anyone when I hand out the files that it is unlikely that they will be able to use them without problems, and that I am unable to help with missing fonts and the like.

I was a little upset a couple of years ago, when I engraved something for a publisher, who then demanded the files, and changed a lot of things. The problem was that with a good eye one can detect the changed places easily, as beams are placed differently, certain aspects of spacing are ignored, the end points of ties collide with staff lines etc. All things I generally spent some time to get them to look right. It made me realize that only very few publishers really have an eye for such things, and for the vast majority it doesn't matter at all.

Since then I have decided that, although I will not give up my own perfectionism, I don't really care about what they do with it afterwards. But I also informed them that I do not want my name on it, either.

Johannes
--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de