Indeed, I've heard this as well. However, I had a bunch of CDRs that had archived stuff from 1997 up till 2003. In 2003 I bought a DVD recorder, and transferred all the CDRs to DVD. I remember only 2 discs having problems, and one was rather scratched up. But then again, I had 2 copies of each back up, so all was well. About 1/3 the number of discs putting them on DVD. I imagine in a couple more years I'll be buying whatever the next thing is and doing the process all over again.......

Johannes Gebauer wrote:
I very much agree, and it looks like PDF will be one of the longer liver file formats.

However, if you really want to save them, don't rely on CD-Rs, or DVD-Rs for that matter. I just heard a feature in the radio where they had someone who seemed to know something about it, and he said CD-Rs are unlikely to last more than 10 years without errors, and he would recommend to re-copy them every 2 to 3 years.

Kind of worrying!

Johannes