Owain Sutton wrote:

Random unscientific test to see if your claim applies for London:

Richard Ashcroft at the Brixton Academy (hardly U2) - £22.50. Gigs at the Mean Fiddler - anywhere from £8 to £18. Wembley Arena tickets around £25.

At the South Bank Centre, you can see the Alban Berg Qt or the London Sinfonietta for £8, and the LPO for £6. And Figaro at the Royal Opera for £7.

Is the situation in America really that much different from this?

San Diego Symphony individualy tickets range from $15 - 95US. San Diego Opera ranges from $24 - $595. Cox Arena (mostly rock concerts and SDSU sporting events) varies from $15-150.
House of Blues (mostly acts I don't like) ranges from $15-$50.
Humphreys' (where I play more often than listen) ranges from $30 - $100. (And the band doesn't often get a really big cut).
Coors Amphitheatre (seats 20,000) often reaches $150 a seat.
Muscials (road shows) at the Civic Centre range from $50 - 200 a seat.

But other venues can be more reasonable.

Dizzy's usually ranges from $7-12 a ticket, and has very good entertainment.
Croce's has a decent $15 dinner package, and the music is often good.

There's a lot of variety.

And the musicians in town still get the shaft.  :/

cd
--
http://www.livejournal.com/users/dershem/#