Johannes Gebauer wrote:

On 17.02.2006 Michael Cook wrote:

In my score (Dover reprint of old Ricordi) of the complete opera, the overture is:

1fl. + 1picc., 2, 2, 2 - 2, 2, 3 - Timpani, Gran Cassa - Str

Ah, now this is conflicting information. Are there 3 trombones, or are there not (this is important for me...).

Johannes

In the reprint ms of the overture that I recall seeing years ago, (reprinted at the back of a printed library full score of the opera) there were no trombones or timpani. Somewhere along the way, someone added three trombone and timp parts to the overture that are commonly played, and these are in the Dover-Ricordi score (I just looked at the latter yesterday, AAMOF.) I don't believe the trombones appear again in the entire opera in the Dover-Ricordi score.

It looks like it can be, and has been, performed either way with conviction. Many years ago I played it under one conductor who kept telling us to play softly, since their were no trombones in the ms. I wanted to ask him if we should leave, but I was more shy when I was young.

(Anyone used to hearing the Warner Brothers cartoons will miss the trombones, of course.)

RBH