On Feb 17, 2006, at 1:55 PM, Kim Patrick Clow wrote:

how authentic is improvised percussion to Baroque music?

It's authentic where it is known to have been used (as in Handel's Music for the Royal Fireworks)--and not elsewhere!

Praetorius lists many percussion instruments; and we know they were used in all types of music of his period.

No we don't. Some of the instruments he depicts are peasant instruments that would never have used in any of the surviving (i.e., written) music of the period. Others are military signalling instruments, and *none*, to the best of my knowledge, would have been used for anything more exalted than social dance music--i.e., pop.

My wife coined the term "tinkleplunk" as a measure of the degree to which a modern Renaissance ensemble is willing to pander to a modern audience. The more percussion and other inappropriate instruments, the more lowbrow and "Renaissance Faire"ish.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/