On 17 Feb 2006 at 15:21, Andrew Stiller wrote:

> On Feb 17, 2006, at 1:55 PM, Kim Patrick Clow wrote:
>
> > how authentic is improvised percussion to Baroque music?
>
> It's authentic  where it is known to have been used (as in Handel's
> Music for the Royal Fireworks)--and not elsewhere!

Is that a joke?

We know some about performance practice, but very little. From what I
remember there are some vague statements of the order of "percussion
instruments would be used with this kind of music" but nothing
notated and very little documentation of particular performances.

But just because we lack exact information doesn't mean the practice
of adding non-notated percussion couldn't be fully authentic. It
really does depend.

The exact nature of what the instruments played is itself highly
speculative, though, even when we know the instruments were used.

But we don't know much about appropriate performance for lots of
notated music, either (e.g., Parisian organum).