At 3/15/2006 12:21 PM, Jonathan Smith wrote:

This has always annoyed me.

There is a train of thought that the arranger, in making an arrangement of a specific work, is doing the composer a big favour by increasing the performance of the composer's work - especially when it is for a different medium and then gets recorded or published. But the arranger is not entitled to any royalty unless the work is out of copyright.

And how many arrangers are out there?

If you complain about the "legalities" of your arrangement, it seems, to me, to be simple to get a different arranger.

Perhaps I am missing something?

I arrange stuff all the time for the groups that I direct. Probably illegal arrangements ;-)

We perform them in church, obviously no monetary situation.

Perhaps someone could even tell me if this is legal:

1.  I take a Bach chorale and arrange it for a bell choir.

2.  I take an SATB choral piece and arrange it for TTBB.

Phil Daley          < AutoDesk >
http://www.conknet.com/~p_daley