On Mar 30, 2006, at 9:35 AM, Christopher Smith wrote:

Having worked this way with composers before, I can relate. Sometimes there actually ARE more sophisticated harmonies implied in the melody, but the composer is unable to realise them properly. Who is the composer really, in that case? I have stopped doing this kind of work now.

I stopped playing the bass for a living when I'd show up (with a Fender bass) for a recording date with illiterate musicians who were being paid more than I'd dreamed of to have me create a bass part to a piece they'd "written" that made no sense to me.  I'd probably have done it and taken the money, but I could never figure out what they wanted to hear, partly because I couldn't stand listening to the kind of music they were "writing" and hearing.  I was afraid that if I learned to do it, my music would begin to sound like that.

Then there was a period of working with Paul Simon, mostly as his composition teacher.  (There was not a lot I could teach him that applied to his work, and he is certainly more than minimally gifted at what he does.)  I couldn't make that work either, when Paul wanted to help me by getting me involved in making his recordings.  I couldn't figure out what was going on in that world.  I liked the idea of the money and notoriety, but couldn't work the way the pop guys do.

To each his zone.

Chuck

Chuck Israels
230 North Garden Terrace