----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark D Lew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <finale@shsu.edu>
Sent: Saturday, April 01, 2006 6:01 AM
Subject: Re: [Finale] music literacy

"It's clear that you have a lot of vocal talent, but it's really not the kind of talent we're looking for here."

For me, there are two big differences between the music of the 60's and now. Today we have an enormous range of electronic sounds and effects that weren't dreamed of then, and the style of composition and record production has inevitably broadened to use them. I don't remember any bands back then who couldn't reproduce their recorded sounds live.

The other difference is the rise in the number of "manufactured" groups and artists whose sex appeal is likely to make more money in the eyes of the producers than their musical talent. I can only think of the Monkees back then who were manufactured. Gone are the days when a few ordinary-looking local lads in Liverpool could form their own little group, write their own music, practice at each other's houses, play at local dance halls and get discovered by talent scouts. With no disrespect to them, can you imagine Ringo Starr or Charlie Watts being given today's hyped-up promotion? Like the man said, theirs is not the sort of talent they're looking for.

Peter