On Mar 31, 2006, at 7:49 AM, Williams, Jim wrote:

Did Bessie Smith videos (yes, there are a few, I believe) feature her 3/4 naked and writhing in simulated orgasmic ecstasy?
etc...

If you said "a crowd of female dancer wearing tight short shorts and shaking their booties" you might have a point. But the naked writhing you describe doesn't have much to do with rap. You're thinking of the Britney Spears / Cristina Aguilera [*] genre, which really isn't rap at all.

It makes one wonder if you're railing against contemporary culture generally rather than rap music specifically.

mdl

[*] Yes, I know, there are newer starlets now, and Britney and Cristina are tres passé now, but I'm several years behind the curve. (I can picture one of the current ones, but I can't remember her name.) Anyway, the point remains.