On Apr 1, 2006, at 12:52 PM, Mark D Lew wrote:

I don't think Schubert was influenced by Irish bards either, but I think it's reasonable to label either of them as "song".

I read a highly interesting paper, long ago, that identified a "bardic stance" taken in some Romantic music and characterized by such things as horn-fifths in the minor mode, that the writer convicingly tied to the vogue for "Ossianic" poetry at the beginning of the 19th c. Of course, Ossian was a hoax, but everybody *thought* he was an Irish bard!

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/