Is this thread just about rap bashing? I don't seek it out, but some of what finds me I find very compelling. For example, I thoroughly enjoy the opening theme of "Samurai Champloo". When those isolated little piano notes come in near the end, it gives me a little shiver.

As far as gangsta lyrics go, what choice did we give our children? Children invariably seek out the thing that will most shock their elders. We boomers decided we would be unshockable, so we left our children no choice but to embrace tattoos, body piercings, cigarettes, and gangsta lyrics. I remember as a child shocking my elders with the lyrics from "Hair". We are the ones who upped the ante, but I'm not saying I would do anything differently in hindsight.

A few years ago I went on a tour with a couple of 16 year-olds. They decided to see if they could shock me with the stuff on their music player. They did, but I think I kept my cool. I suppose this too shall pass. It is easy for me to say, since in real life I'm not an actual parent.

--
Robert Patterson

http://RobertGPatterson.com