At 1:04 PM -0500 4/1/06, Phil Daley wrote:
At 4/1/2006 12:32 PM, Andrew Stiller wrote:

 >OK, you started this one, so you can answer it first - how DO you
 define
 >music?

 Pitch and rhythm.  Words are secondary.

 Rap has rhythm.  End of story.

Every rap song I have ever heard includes at least fragments of melody.
In the overarching category of hip-hop (which I am interested to note
has not been mentioned once in this thread), pitch dominates.

Could you make a score of a "rap piece" so that another group could perform it and it would be identical to the original performance?
(By which I mean, the same pitches.)

I take a big chance getting between Andrew and Phil here, BUT: That's something of a red herring because they are not absolute pitches but relative pitches, and yes, I could do that quite easily. Just as I have written rap passages using x-noteheads in relative positions on the staff. Piece--as they say--of cake! And the realization would be a little different with a different performer, but when has that EVER not been true in music?

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music