And there go all classical improvisations from Bach over Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, even E. T. A. Hoffmann, and of course myself improvising...;-)

Oh my god! I played a t the church today and did four improvisations. And I thought it was music...?

This is ridiculous! Improvisation (in a good sence) is instant-composing, and many good pieces of classical music, jazz, rock and folklore are improvisations or at least based on improvisations.

Good improvisation has still got a random quality (as the word says, un-pre-viewed), but is based on a sound knowledge of style, phrases, chords and form. As is good composition...

All (or at least most) of the great composers throughout all styles of music have been great improvisers, and they improvised their music...

Kurt